Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking at Horner Rd. is Awful!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parking at Horner Rd. is Awful!!!
    Posted: 21 Oct 2004 at 1:08pm
I agree, this morning at PM was one of those once in a while flukes. I typically arrive around 7 AM and most of the time there's not even a line, slugs just march right up to the cars. Today both the DC and CC lines were waiting for a while, but after using PM for two months now this is only the third time I've had to wait that long for a ride.

I used to park at Horner around 8 and can still get a legal spot. From hearing everyone's experiences it sounds like even at 7 it's slim pickings. I'm throwing away my "Horner Rd" sign, I haven't used it in months and don't plan on ever using it again!

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2004 at 11:51am
Emancilla,
I think it has just been a crazy week for commuting. next week you probably won't have to wait 30 minutes. I am a new Potomac Mills driver and I love it!! I used to always use Horner or Tackett's Mill, but I moved to Dale City and now think PM is much better than Horner
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2004 at 6:11pm
Thank you all for your help and advice! Sigh of relief. Will now try Potomac Mills Lot.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
[:D]
JB
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 4:38pm
I got to Horner Road this morning by 7:20am, thinking I was going to get a fair free spot in the second lot but to my surprise, every single legal space was taken. Pretty soon, Horner Road will reach full capacity before 7am. Outrageous!
I parked at Potomac Mills but it was very difficult to find riders heading to DC. There was a long line of slugs waiting for a car and it took me 30 minutes to be at the front of the line.
mallslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 1:26pm
adjguy - check out www.prtctransit.org for the bus schedules under "Omniride". There is a difference between OmniRide and OmniLink on the website so make sure you click the correct one. The last bus back to Horner from the Pentagon is the DL-2 that leaves at 6:50, then the next three "DL" busses will take you to the Rt. 123 lot and you transfer to one that will take you to Horner. Or... you have to go to Springfield where the bus runs once an hour from 7:25 until 10:30.

Karen
slugguru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 1:02pm
adjguy............another way to catch a ride home from rosslyn would be to catch the metro to springfield and a omnilink bus will take u to potomac mills up until 9 or 10 pm...
mallslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 8:01am
First, there is a way to catch an Omniride bus home from Rosslyn, but it involves taking Metro to the Pentagon first :) It's not a bad way to go and that's what I do in extremely bad weather because I don't like getting in stranger's cars in the middle of a blizzard.

I slug from PM to Rosslyn and back every day (except in snowstorms) and I've never had much of a problem in either the morning or the afternoon. Yes, most afternoon drivers in Rosslyn seem to want to go to Horner road, but once you get back to the 7th or 8th car, it's pretty easy to convince a Horner driver to go the extra 5 minutes to PM rather than sit and wait another 10 minutes in Rosslyn.

I slug pretty early in the morning from PM and at 6:20 to 6:40 there will either be a line of 20 people and no cars, or about 10 cars and no slugs. There's just no telling how it will be but even when there is a huge line of people I've never waited more than about 7 or 8 minutes for a driver. On one rare occasion when I had to drive to work later, and got to the lot around 7, I only had to wait about 10 minutes for riders. I tried Horner Road a couple times - what a mess!

One time slugging from Horner was during Christmas week last year when the Potomac Mills lot was empty - no slugs, no drivers so I drove to Horner and parked. All the cars at Horner were going to the Pentagon (this was before the line was split) and were not willing to switch to Rosslyn even though the line was at least 20 cars. Finally one reluctant drive in about the 22nd position relented and took me and another slug to Rosslyn. I just don't understand why someone would rather sit in a parking lot for 1/2 hour when they could be on the road.

Bottom line, Potomac Mills beats Horner Road

Karen
aaron_the_prince View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron_the_prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 10:44am
Slugs in DC have been holding signs advertising their desire to be dropped off at Potomac.
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 9:34pm
QUESTION: Is there anything that can be done to advertise the Potomac Mills Lot for morning and AFTERNOONS? It very difficult to obtain a ride home if you are going to Potomac. I would be happy to use Potomac if I knew I could have a better chance at geting a ride home in the Afternoon.

QUESTION: Is there a way to catch an Omnilink Bus to Potomac from Roslyn if you dont get a slug ride home in time?

wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 2:48pm
... as well as someone turning out of Horner onto Telegraph may get nailed by oncoming traffic that was blocked by parked vehicles along Telegraph...have seen several close calls already.

- Will
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic