Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VA enforces VA tint law on MD car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 10:12am
oops!
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 9:37pm
The bottom line is, if you wish to drive in Virginia, conform to its laws. Tint laws are in existence to protect the police officer. If they can't see if a driver or passenger has a weapon it is a perilous situation for them.
And for any other Maryland driver out there, get out of the left lane unless you are passing someone. It may be ok in MD to poke along in the left lane, but in VIRGINIA it is illegal. I really hate having to pass you in the right lane because you lack the ability to understand those signs directing slower traffic into the right lanes.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 3:41pm
"Please don't reply with your opinions. I don't care what your opinion is. I need logic."

Your tone is not appreciated here. You clearly have posted on this site before and should know that posting on a web forum allows any individual their personal right to express their opinion.

Logic? Logic is not the act of posting an angry rant on a MESSAGE BOARD and then telling folks not to respond with their opinion.

So, clearly- you just want to have folks pat you on the back and justify your anger at the Commonwealth of VA's state laws?

SHHHHEEEESH!
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 12:49pm
If you know you've got illegal tint, try rolling down the windows next time.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Woodbridge Mike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodbridge Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 10:41am
Well, you say you don't want opinions, and from the tone of your post you mean any replies that don't agree with you. Well, you post on a forum, you'll get opinions. So, here's mine.

1) You are expected to abide by the laws and regulations of the municipality and state you are in, regardless of the "inconvenience" or even impracticality that is sometimes caused by interjurisdictional travel. That is the responsibility of citizens in society.

2) This principle applies to vehicles and drivers when it comes to driving laws. You claim you were just driving through. However, picking up slugs is inherently a function of people who are traveling to or from a destination within Virginia, not the purview of tourists on their way through the Commonwealth. I don't care about your personal life, but your excuse "I was just passing through" doesn't pass the smell test.

3) Frankly, where you're car is registered (and where you are licensed) has little to do with where you truly reside. Military are allowed to keep home plates/addresses on their vehicles even when transferred to new bases. College students with vehicles often list Mom & Dad's address as the registration address. The logical extension of your argument is that a college student should be allowed to flout VA law for the vast majority of 4 (or 6 or 8) years while earning a degree just because their plates say they are from a different state.

4) The fact that removing tint when you go from state to state is very difficult, or that you were (maybe) ignorant of the VA tint statutes, is irrelevant. Before Chicago's gun ordinance was struck down by the Supreme Court, tourists and people passing through the city who happened to have a licensed, registered gun in their vehicle could be (and at times were) arrested and prosecuted. Is it practical or wise to throw a gun out of your window when you cross from Indiana into SE Chicago on the Skyway on the way to hunt in Wisconsin? No, but according to the ordinances, you would be breaking the law.

If you dislike VA tint law, feel free to lobby the VA legislature to change it. I'm sure you'll find others who agree with you, as well as many people like me who think 50% is plenty dark. However, I don't know what you expect our Congressmen to do. Tint laws don't affect interstate commerce, so you're wasting your time writing to them.

In the meantime, you can either reduce the tint in your car, stop picking up slugs and driving in the HOV lane (it is doubtful you would have been pulled over for tint alone if the cop wasn't trying to determine if you were violating HOV laws), or continue to break the law in Virginia and risk getting tickets.

-Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 10:28am
quote:
Originally posted by fnk1481

I was pulled over by a VA state trooper who said he couldn't see if I had the required number of passengers in my car because my tint is too dark. I had 2 slugs in my car. My tint is 35%. 35% is not dark. My car is tagged and titled in MD. I have a MD address on my MD driver's license. I am a legal resident of MD. MD tint law allows us to tint our windows down to 35%. VA tint law allows you to tint your windows down to 50%. According to the cop, VA enforces its tint law on all cars in VA, even cars just driving through. I asked why. This is the analogy he replied with: the speed limit in MD is 55, but the speed limit in VA is 70, so when you get to MD, you abide by their speed limit. Stupid analogy. Changing your car's speed when you enter a different state is doable. Changing your tint when you enter a different state is not. Basically, the cop (and VA law) imply that their law trumps MD law. This isn't legal. This law isn't logical. IT ISN'T LOGICAL. If there is logic in this that I don't see, please reply. Please don't reply with your opinions. I don't care what your opinion is. I need logic. This law doesn't make any sense to me. Also, please don't reply with questions about my personal life, like why I was picking up slugs in VA. That's none of your business. I just need to know what is logical about this law. In the meantime, your Congressmen are going to get letters from me.
[?][?][?]

I don't think you are going to find a logical explanation. It's just a matter of how the law is written - in Virginia is applies to all vehicles operated on Virginia roads, while in Maryland it applies only to vehicles registered in Maryland. Virginia isn't the only state that does it that way, either. In VA, VA law applies - it is not trumped by the laws of MD or any other state. If I were to vote on which one makes more sense, I would go with the way MD does it.
fnk1481 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnk1481 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 5:19pm
I was pulled over by a VA state trooper who said he couldn't see if I had the required number of passengers in my car because my tint is too dark. I had 2 slugs in my car. My tint is 35%. 35% is not dark. My car is tagged and titled in MD. I have a MD address on my MD driver's license. I am a legal resident of MD. MD tint law allows us to tint our windows down to 35%. VA tint law allows you to tint your windows down to 50%. According to the cop, VA enforces its tint law on all cars in VA, even cars just driving through. I asked why. This is the analogy he replied with: the speed limit in MD is 55, but the speed limit in VA is 70, so when you get to MD, you abide by their speed limit. Stupid analogy. Changing your car's speed when you enter a different state is doable. Changing your tint when you enter a different state is not. Basically, the cop (and VA law) imply that their law trumps MD law. This isn't legal. This law isn't logical. IT ISN'T LOGICAL. If there is logic in this that I don't see, please reply. Please don't reply with your opinions. I don't care what your opinion is. I need logic. This law doesn't make any sense to me. Also, please don't reply with questions about my personal life, like why I was picking up slugs in VA. That's none of your business. I just need to know what is logical about this law. In the meantime, your Congressmen are going to get letters from me.
[?][?][?]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic