Report on Length of Lines
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kory
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  14:10:03  Show Profile
Have you ever hustled to the slug line in order to be sure to get a ride home only to find the line monstrously long? You COULD have gone to the Metro/Bus/whatever but you passed that on the way to the line. Now is it worth it to go back?

Wouldn't it be better if you could know how long the line is BEFORE you go to it?

I recommend we get a little crowd-sourcing going -- that's when everyone shares info with everyone else to make commuting better for all of us.

With the ubiquity of smart phones, we could setup a "listserv" e-mail service. When you get to the line, send an e-mail in saying how long the line is. Anyone subscribed to the listserv would get that e-mail and could then make an informed decision about their commute home.

Well, what do you think? Let the egg-throwing begin!

Kory...

KeithO
Average Member

76 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  08:03:55  Show Profile
I have been thinking recently about Slug Tweeting. I even checked on Twitter to see how many hits "slug" got. Not Many. Maybe something to start?

KeithO
Go to Top of Page

LC@PotomacLocal

12 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  13:09:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KeithO

I have been thinking recently about Slug Tweeting. I even checked on Twitter to see how many hits "slug" got. Not Many. Maybe something to start?

KeithO

I write the Slug Tales column for PotomacLocal.com and recently brought this idea to the Slug-Lines.com webmaster - I'm not very familiar with Twitter and don't know how many people out there use it, but I was thinking about setting up some sort of Slug Tales Facebook or Twitter account, specifically for this purpose. I would be happy to do that, if you all agree that it would be useful. Of course, it will only be successful if everyone uses it. Please let me know your thoughts!

*Check out Slug Tales every Wednesday on PotomacLocal.com*

Happy Slugging!
Go to Top of Page

KeithO
Average Member

76 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  15:51:39  Show Profile
Hey, if you or the Slug-Lines.com webmaster can do it - Why not!
Build it and they'll come...
That's what I say.

KeithO
Go to Top of Page

mikez
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  13:04:15  Show Profile
We already do something like this for the Rosslyn to Springfield line. We started a GroupMe group that allows folks to use text messages, a smart phone app, or a web page to post info to the other line users. Riders or drivers can post the current status of the line. They can also post ahead of time when they intend to be at the line so folks in line know not to give up and go to the Pentagon.

It is very helpful at reducing the uncertainty of using the slug line and allowing communication between riders and drivers. For example, yesterday the last regular driver of the day waited for me for a couple of minutes even though she already had 2 riders because I had posted that I would be there at 4:30.

We chose GroupMe because it:
- maintains everyone's privacy (no one has to know your full name or phone number, can only join by invitation from a current group member),
- is easy to manage (you can mute posts from the group once you have your ride/riders), and
- can be used with text messages, the smart phone app, or the web page.

Unfortunately, less than half of the riders or drivers agree to participate. Most say it is too much trouble and that they just don't want to be bothered. But we have enough users to make it helpful.
Go to Top of Page

KeithO
Average Member

76 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  08:22:17  Show Profile
Twitter would accomplish everything you mentioned, has a much wider user audience, available on smart phone, & easy to use.

KeithO
Go to Top of Page

mikez
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  22:07:38  Show Profile
It's not clear to me how you get updates from all line users via twitter without following all of them. Then how do you have to mute each? I'm not familiar enough with twitter to see how that would work.
Go to Top of Page

LC@PotomacLocal

12 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  13:17:19  Show Profile
As discussed, I have created a new Twitter feed for Slugs to use for reporting on the length of lines, availability of parking, and other Slugging-related issues.

You can it by visiting www.twitter.com/SlugTales, or searching @SlugTales on Twitter.

Please pass this on to other Slugs, as this will only be successful and useful if we're using it!

*Check out Slug Tales every Wednesday on PotomacLocal.com*

Happy Slugging!

Edited by - LC@PotomacLocal on 06/25/2012 13:18:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page